Sunday, May 8, 2011

Journey of 1,000 Barefoot Miles - Week Ending May 7, 2011

So I must start out this week with a very important notice, as today is a special day to the vast majority of people around the world. Happy Mother’s Day to all those wonderful ladies out there that have lovingly cared for supported, taught and just been there through the thick and thin of all that has happened through the years. I raise my hands to the sky, jump and click my barefooted heels together in recognition of all you are, and how the world would not be the same without you. This category includes my beautiful wife, who has supported me through some interesting times over the years, and has been a great mother to our two boys. I would be lost without you.

With the important announcements out of the way, I can carry on with the week that was. This week was a little disappointing for me, since I was technically not suppose to run for a week to allow my bruised and enflamed muscles to heal. This was really hard, as I caught myself a couple of times putting my running gear together prior to heading to work in the morning. Running has become a very important part of my life, as it gives me the opportunity to lose myself from the day to day monotony and stresses that surround me. To me there is nothing better than stripping the shoes off, and just heading out for a run to get in touch with my soul (or soles), and just flush the crap (no pun intended) away. It gives me the chance to reflect on what is important in life, and that life is just too darn short, so get out and enjoy it, before it moves on without you.

So here we go, the week that was:



Monday May 2, 2011
Barefoot:
3.15 miles *
Vibrams:
0.00 miles
Total:
3.15 miles *

I put an asterix beside the barefoot miles because these were not running miles, but quick walking miles. This was my weekly WH3 run, but for me running was not an option. I do feel these are legitimate miles to count because first of all I was barefoot, and I was moving at an above normal walk pace. Let me also clarify that walking barefoot on trail is actually harder to do, because you use more of the area of your foot when you land, areas that do not typically get used when you run. The soles of my feet are the stronger for it, and I think I will be doing more of this throughout the year. Anyway it was a great trail, that my wife and a couple of great friends set (thanks WB and MD). As this was my Birthday Hash Run, N felt it was appropriate that the drink stop consisted of a shot of Crown Royal (my favorite beverage) instead of beer. As the majority of the runners were running the course, I was glad to have WB walk the trail with me, I enjoy these chances that we get to go out together, I consider her to be very like minded to me (excluding the bare feet but I am working on her) and she is a great friend who listens to my craziness and does not judge.

Boy, I am rambling today, mental note, must try to stay on track.

Anyway after the run, we held a ‘quieter’ circle, singing the swearing song in a hushed tone is always interesting. We also had two new additions to our group, Just Andy and Just Liz (a tattoo artist and a priest respectively), an awesome married addition to our group of misfits. Just wait till we break into ‘Jesus Can’t Go Hashing’, that should be a hoot. Anyway it was a great time as always, and we finished off the evening with a great bbq and some good conversation. Thanks all for making it a great night.



Thursday May 5, 2011
Barefoot:
1.15 miles
Vibrams:
0.00 miles
Total:
1.15 miles

This was a short run after a hour long torture session with my personal trainer (thanks Carolyn), as always she was looking out for my best interest, and decided to stay away from my lower body and focus on core and upper body training (seriously, upper body training, it has been at least 20 years since I done any weight lifting and I now remember why). Anyway, I love training with Carolyn because she is a runner (and a darn good one), she understands what is needed to increase your speed and endurance, and pushes me to the limits when I need it. Anyway, I decided that I would try a short run after the training session to see how my hip was recovering. Kept it slow and even, concentrating on getting my form back in order. Things went well, and I felt good when I finished, a good sign that things were recovering. I also want to note, I think it is hilarious that when I get to the gym I put my Vibrams on to work out, and as I get out the door, I take off the Vibrams to run, it still gets some interesting looks from people.



Saturday May 7, 2011
(My 40th Birthday)
Barefoot:
5.75 miles
Vibrams:
0.00
Total:
5.75 miles

This was a great day, not only was I participating in a great run, the Physio Fit Run, I was also running it with my oldest son. Even though he complains that he cannot keep up with his friends pretty much from start to finish, I know he enjoys the fact that he finishes the 5 km run. I know it is not easy for him, he is the understatement of an awkward runner, but he does try his heart out, and when he sees that finish line, he takes off like a rocket, and it puts a smile on my face every time. I know in my heart that he will probably never have the passion for running that both I and Nicole have, but that is ok, as he will find his way and the passion that will drive him in his own time. My son is one of the bright lights in my life, and I am proud of him and all the accomplishments completed and the ones that I know will come. Anyway, rambling again, a quick breakdown, 3.11 for the Physio fit run and 2.64 for warm up and cool down while my son was playing with his friends. Overall I was very happy with how my hip performed, and I think with the stretches that I was shown to make sure my hip muscles are warmed up; I should be ready for some fun runs this week.

So the total for the week and year date are as follows:



Week Totals:
Barefoot: 10.15 miles
Vibrams:
0.00 miles
Total:
10.15 miles

Year to Date:
Barefoot: 83.54 miles
Vibrams: 34.93 miles
Total: 118.47 miles



I am expecting some big miles this week, as we are planning a 50 km trial excursion this Saturday for our Ultra Run experiences this summer. Nic and I will be doing a trial run on Saturday to test a route, prepping for Sunday’s trial by G and A, in which Nic and I will be crewing and pacing. As we are new to this, it will be interesting and should be a hold lot of fun. So if you have the desire to try a 50 km run within the confines of the City of Winnipeg (will include some trail as well), please come out and join us. I hope to try organizing one of these runs one day, and this will be our first crack at giving it a go.


Hoping everybody had and will have a wonderful week.



Live long and Bare Your Soles,

3 comments:

  1. I had a torture session with carolyn today too. Wondered what I got myself into......

    ReplyDelete
  2. "live long and bare your soles". wow, thats good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was one of my few and far between creative moments.

    ReplyDelete