Thursday, October 6, 2011

Journey of 1,000 Barefoot Miles - Week Ending October 2, 2011

What more can you say about the weather that we are currently having, this has definitely been a barefoot runner's dream type situation. Here we are heading into October and we are still consistently hitting the 20+ degree Celsius mark. Absolutely fantastic, I am having such a hard time controlling my giddiness about this and the desire to strip and run through the fields screaming at the top of lungs is being barely held back (aren't you glad I have some willpower left, because that would not be a very pretty sight).

Update: We hit 32 degrees yesterday if you can believe it, we were actually warmer than Phoenix, AZ at 27 degrees. All I can say is wow!

I do know one thing, when it does start to cool down, and it will (this is Winnipeg, Canada after all), I will look back at all this beautiful sunny weather we have had this year with fond memories, because it has been an absolutely perfect year for running. A lot of firsts have happened for me this year: my first and second official barefoot marathons were completed, I broke under the hour mark for a 10 km, amassed some additional PB's, completed my first barefoot gravel half marathon, ran an unofficial 50km, ran downtown Winnipeg in a red dress with a bunch of other crazy runners (and no it wasn't Halloween), amassed some major miles and learned a whole bunch about what the human body is actually capable of doing if you allow it too.



I have made some great new friends and acquaintances alike over the last year as well, it amazes me how many people are generally curious or interested in the way I run. I can honestly say, I have probably met or talked to more people this year, then I have in the last 10 years. I don't know what it is about barefoot running or running in general that allows people to throw away their inhibitions and just start a conversation with a complete stranger. It makes for some pretty interesting discussions, that is for sure.


Within my last post I mentioned that the week ending October 2nd, I was expecting to pass the 1,000 km barefoot mark for the season, and I am happy to report that I have achieved that. As of Saturday morning prior to my run with City Park Runners I was sitting at 621.19 miles or 999.70 km, I found it quite interesting that I was that close before I put my barefoot to concrete sidewalk outside the store. Basically by the time I hit the other side of the bridge into the park, I had passed the mark, even though my Garmin was not working properly I still consider that the spot.


Although this was not the original goal that these posts were about in the beginning, I am proud that I have passed this milestone and still have some time to tack some additional miles on prior to the end of the season,.Who knows 700 miles is in reach maybe even 750, only time will tell to see where I end up. But I do know one thing for sure, I will be starting over again next year more determined to eclipse the 1,000 mile mark then ever.


Does anyone else have any goals they have achieved or want to achieve next year as well? Races? Distances? Times?


My miles for the last week are as per below:


Monday September 26, 2011
WH3 Monday Night Run
Barefoot: 4.02 miles
Vibrams: 0.00 miles
Total: 4.02 miles

Tuesday, September 27, 2011
Barefoot: 5.75 miles
Vibrams: 0.00 miles
Total: 5.75 miles




Thursday, September 29, 2011
Run Home From Work
Barefoot: 13.18 miles
Vibrams: 0.00 miles
Total: 13.18 miles





Saturday, October 1, 2011
Run with City Park
Barefoot: 6.95 miles
Vibrams: 0.00 miles
Total: 6.95 miles



Sunday, October 2, 2011
Barefoot: 12.01 miles
Vibrams: 0.00 miles
Total: 12.01 miles



Week That Was
Barefoot: 41.91 miles
Vibrams: 0.00 miles
Total: 39.33 miles


Year To Date
Barefoot: 640.15 miles
Vibrams: 80.20 miles
Total: 720.35 miles


Have a wonderful weekend, and take advantage of the great weather everybody, I know I will be.


"20,000 years ago if you didn't learn to run barefoot you were eaten"


quote courtesy of Vibram

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Bob.. 1000 barefoot kilometers is no small feet... er .. feat. BTW I found your other sock... now I have a pair. I set a thousand mile goal every year. I'm currently at about 1100. On on. M

    ReplyDelete