Saturday, February 9, 2013

Ice Donkey: The Winter Adventure Race


I have been meaning to get this up for the last couple of weeks and I am not offering any excuses. Well other than I was out of the country, on vacation, running in the mountains, spending quality time with the family, but other than that, no excuses.........

I am so looking forward to this event, just think a summer mud obstacle run with, yes, you guessed it snow. What could be a better way to spend a late morning in February but running an obstacle course in Winnipeg with 300 plus of your close friends, plus it is for a great cause in the United Way. Two things that Winnipeggers do very well, host a event for charity and turn it into a party. John Ford and the Swamp Donkey team have outdone themselves once again with this little ditty, there is going to be some uniqueness to the course I am sure, like nothing Winnipeg has ever seen.

Now this is not the first year for the Ice Donkey event, it does have a pretty storied history, but this is the first year that it is being held in this format. All previous years it has been a celebration of different winter sports and activities to get people out, get them active and to enjoy the winter. For example, last year it was a race incorporating teams that had to complete different disciplines including, biking, running, snow shoeing and skating (not in that order) over a course laid out on a map throughout storied Saint Boniface (the french quarter in Winnipeg). Nicole and Gail ran (among other things) this last year and they had a blast. See the attached post that will take you to another post on Gail's other blog, Ice Donkey (phew that was a mouth full).

From Left to Right: Colin, Gail, Gail's youngest daughter, Nicole, Colin's Daughter
Ice Donkey 2012 Finishers.
Another Ice Donkey vet, who I expect to be out on the course giving it his all is my Actif Epica partner in crime, Cory. I expect him out there with his bushy beard, chug, chugging along.


Cory mucking it up for the camera after Ice Donkey last year
I cannot wait to see the obstacles and the participant costumes, and I will be sure to bring my camera to capture some of the more interesting  moments (which I expect will be quite a few). I know I will goofing it up with my attire a bit, but I do not want to spoil the surprise, you will have to wait until I complete the post race report. Until then, you can guess I will not look like these two (I think they have to much clothing what about you........



I also don't think I am going to do any obstacle diving like my buddy, Blake who decided to forgo the snow angel and went for a snow plane instead............



Blake Anderson going for a belly flop into the snow
Photo Credits: Shane Gibson
 Needless to say, I am excited that this is tomorrow, because it allows me to take my mind off my bigger challenge (not to say this is not a huge challenge, wink, wink, nudge, nudge) next weekend, which I will discuss in a post very shortly.

So if your coming out tomorrow, good on ya, if your not, I expect to see you out there next year. Because you are missing something awesome tomorrow, what a great day it is going to be, I do expect to be flying high.

No comments:

Post a Comment